Friday, June 15, 2012

one thousand gifts.

"Let go of trying to do, let go of trying to control...let go of my own way, let go of my own fears.  Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy's fire.  Leave the hand open and be.  Be at peace.  Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper surprised thanks. This is the fuel for joy's flame." - One Thousand Gifts

I've been reading through this book by Ann Voskamp (the coffee table version).  It has been such a good read...reminding me to give thanks in everything, big and small. She talks about how when we give thanks and live more humbly, we realize His amazing love for us and can let go and experience a joy-filled life.

I have realized, more so since becoming a mom, my need for control.  It can be a pretty ugly characteristic at times.  I really wish I could let go and not be so uptight sometimes.  I want to live a more thankful life, one where I am more trusting, and not living in fear.  God is so good, His love for us is more than I can imagine.  So why do I tend to take matters into my own hands?  I need to let go...and let my loving Father guide my every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carrie - I am reading this book as well (full version) and it has been so what my heart has needed. I too have the control need in my sinful heart (I think many women have this struggle). The more I am seeing my sin in all of its ugliness, the more I am also seeing God's graciousness towards me....and it's His grace to even show me my sin...to not let me continue on in the way I am living. So glad you're reading it and gleaning from Voskamp's wisdom. Her blog (A Holy Experience), is one I read everyday and it is so refreshing (especially as blogland goes!!!). Blessings to you and your family this summer Carrie!